What is the Transition movement?
Transition is a movement of communities coming together to reimagine and rebuild our world through a process of creating healthy human culture.
It’s a movement you can join.
It is inspirational, positive, evolving, and it may well be just what you’re looking for.
What is a Transition group?
Transition has been growing since 2005. It is about communities stepping up to address the big challenges they face by starting local. By coming together, they are able to create solutions together.
They seek to nurture a caring culture, one focused on connection with self, others and nature.
A Transition group will typically run events to inspire, encourage and support each other, and the wider community to live more sustainably.
It’s an approach that has spread now to over 50 countries, in thousands of groups: in towns, villages, cities, universities, schools.
One of the key ways it spreads is through telling inspiring stories. We hope you feel inspired to take part, we’d be honoured if you did.
Why do it?
People get involved with Transition for lots of reasons:
- To get to know their neighbours
- To feel that they are making a difference in the world, both now, and for future generations
- To overcome the sense of disconnection they feel from self, others and from the nature around them because the world’s huge challenges feel more manageable if addressed at the local scale
- To catalyse all manner of new projects, enterprises and investment opportunities
- To learn new skills
- To feel like they are creating a more life enhancing story for their place
- To feel connected to other people, the natural world, and to something historic and exciting happening around them
- Because they feel it is “the right thing to do”
- Because they feel disenfranchised by politics and want to be able to take back a sense that they can influence the world around them.
How to start a Transition group
We have two guides to help you get started on your Transition journey.
Transition Streets workbook
Some groups start with the Transition Streets workbook. This is an Australian resource.
The Transition streets workbook will guide you through how to set up your group and contains lots of resources as you get started.
Essential Guide to Doing Transition
Other groups use the Essential Guide to Doing Transition. This is a resource written by the Transition Network, based in the UK.
The Essential Guide has lots of helpful information to help and inspire you.
Please, stay in touch
At Transition Australia, we would love to hear about your journey. Please sign up to our newsletter and let us know about how you go.
You can also list your group so others can find you.