|Griffiths Island is a sanctuary for plants, birds and animals with a large breeding colony of short-tailed shearwaters.
Friends of Griffith Island (FOGI) focuses on protecting the ecology of Griffiths Island and supporting it as a major tourist attraction.
The Friends of Griffiths Island aims to protect and enhance the natural and cultural environment of Griffiths Island and its environs.
- protect indigenous flora, fauna and migratory bird species with particular attention to the Short-tailed Shearwater nesting sites on the Island
- protect Griffiths Island’s geological features
- revegetate Griffiths Island with native flora (using endemic specie where possible)
- control vermin and introduced wildlife predators (cats, dogs and foxes)
- enhance the visitor experience by the provision of appropriate facilities with minimal reduction of the environmental value of the Island
- utilise Griffiths Island and adjacent environments’ natural features as places of education for the community.
By joining the Friends of Griffiths Island, you’ll:
- Be part of a fun local group making a real difference
- Get skilled up, learn about plants native to Port Fairy, the restoration of native habitat on Griffiths Island, the management of feral weeds, how to rescue shearwater fledglings, the impact of light pollution, the importance of community engagement and more.
- Have the opportunity to step into leadership roles and build people power in our community.
Sign up now and a group leader will be in touch to tell you about upcoming group meetings and events.
Send a message to: