Local Governments are Getting Together for Action
Victorian councils are working together to develop strategic plans to tackle greenhouse gas emissions and consequences. For example, the two networks NAGA and WAGA and their respective 2020-2025 plans
Which encompass seven broad aims:
- Increase the resilience of member councils and their communities to respond to projected climate change impacts in the region.
- Ensure that responding to climate change is deeply embedded within the governance practices of member councils.
- Deliver a pro-active program of advocacy to support our climate change mitigation and adaptation objectives.
- Develop and deliver a program of initiatives to reduce emissions from the non-residential sector, through investment in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Investigate, support and deliver energy efficiency and renewable energy programs to reduce emissions in the residential sector.
- Work to overcome energy market barriers to the uptake of renewable energy, both for corporate and community needs.
- Assist member councils to move rapidly away from dependences on fossil fuels, both for corporate and community needs.